Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital offers work experience placements to help you gain that essential hands-on experience with animals that future employers or training courses require. Meet some amazing wildlife that you would never normally get the chance to see. Tiggywinkles treats over 10,000 British wild creatures every year, so there is always plenty of species to get up close to.
Christmas 2021 Placements
We are offering work experience placements for blocks of 12 days, working either Tuesday-Saturday; Sunday-Thursday or Friday-Monday from 17th Dec 2021 to 3rd Jan 2022.
You need to be available for all 12 days within that period, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day if they fall in your working days. Please do bear in mind the lack of public transport over those public holiday dates.
Placements are to work either:
Friday 17th December 2021 to Saturday 1st January 2022, Tuesdays to Saturdays, working 9am to 4pm (Christmas Day 8am to 10.30am; New Year’s Day 8am to 11.30am)
Sunday 19th December 2021 to Monday 3rd January 2022, Sundays to Thursdays, working 9am to 4pm (Boxing Day 8am to 11.30am)
Friday 17th December 2021 to Monday 3rd January 2022, Fridays to Mondays, working 9am to 4pm (Christmas Day 8am to 10.30am; Boxing Day 8am to 11.30am; New Year’s Day 8am to 11.30am)
Easter 2022 Placements
We are offering a limited number of work experience placements for blocks of 11 days, working either Tuesday to Saturday; Sunday to Thursday or Friday to Monday, from 9th to 24th April 2022.
You need to be available for all 11 days within that period, including the Bank Holidays and Easter Sunday if they fall on your working day. Please bear in mind the lack of public transport over those public holiday dates.
Placements are to work either:
Saturday 9th to Saturday 23rd April 2022, Tuesdays to Saturdays, working 9am to 4pm (includes Good Friday)
Sunday 10th to Sunday 24th April 2022, Sundays to Thursdays, working 9am to 4pm (includes Easter Sunday and Easter Monday)
Saturday 9th to Sunday 24th April 2022, Fridays to Mondays, working 9am to 4pm (includes Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, working 10 days)
Work Experience Tasks
The main tasks are hands-on husbandry of the thousand plus wild animals currently undergoing treatment and rehabilitation at our hospital – which means you will spend your day cleaning cages and enclosures, preparing and providing food, with some handling of a variety of wild species. In addition you may be asked to help out with:
- Enclosure & site maintenance as required, which may involve weeding or painting
- Assisting with deliveries of food stuffs
- Talking to the public, if working in the Visitor Areas (mainly answering their questions!)
Please note, we only offer non-clinical placements.
If you have a passion for working with wildlife and want some valuable hands-on experience, please read our work experience requirements: Work Experience Requirements 2021
If you are still interested, please fill out an application form, which you can download here: Work Experience Application 2021-22
PLEASE NOTE: applications for the next calendar year should be submitted after 1 September.
- Students must be over 16 and able to work independently.
- You must have in date tetanus cover.
- Tasks are very physical, so be prepared for working inside or outside, whatever the weather.
- Priority is given to students already on an animal related training programme.
- Extended placements (of longer than 3 weeks) are only offered after completion of a trial period.
- Dress code is jeans and a plain black top, with trainers or boots. Wellies and waterproofs are recommended when working outside (please check the staff room rota). Dark coloured outdoor clothing only.
- No jewellery and long hair must be tied back at all times.
- No known allergies to animals, animal feed (including nuts) or latex.
As a charity, Tiggywinkles cannot offer any financial support or help with accommodation or expenses. You will need to arrange your own travel or place to stay if required. Tiggywinkles may terminate the work experience placement immediately if any Health and Safety or Animal Welfare rules are broken, or any placement student behaves in an unprofessional manner.