Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital offers work experience placements to help you gain that essential hands-on experience with animals that future employers or training courses require. Meet some amazing wildlife that you would never normally get the chance to see. Tiggywinkles treats over 10,000 British wild creatures every year, so there is always plenty of species to get up close to.
Placements are available May - September (unless you are a current animal care student), for a minimum of three weeks in an uninterrupted block and for a maximum of three months. All placements are for five days per week (which includes one weekend day), so in a seven day week you will get two days off. Working day is 9am to 5pm. All work experience placements start on a Monday.
Work Experience Tasks
The main tasks are hands-on husbandry of the thousand plus wild animals currently undergoing treatment and rehabilitation at our hospital – which means you will spend your day cleaning cages and enclosures, preparing and providing food, with some handling of a variety of wild species. In addition you may be asked to help out with:
- Enclosure & site maintenance as required, which may involve weeding or painting
- Assisting with deliveries of food stuffs
- Talking to the public, if working in the Visitor Areas (mainly answering their questions!)
Please note, we only offer non-clinical placements.
If you have a passion for working with wildlife and want some valuable hands-on experience, then fill out an application form which you can download here: Work Experience Application form
PLEASE NOTE: applications for the next calendar year should be submitted after 1 September.
- Students must be over 16 and able to work independently.
- You must have in date tetanus cover.
- Tasks are very physical, so be prepared for working inside or outside, whatever the weather.
- Priority is given to students already on an animal related training programme.
- Extended placements (of longer than 3 weeks) are only offered after completion of a trial period.
- Dress code is jeans and a plain black top, with trainers or boots. Wellies and waterproofs are recommended when working outside (please check the staff room rota). Dark coloured outdoor clothing only.
- No jewellery and long hair must be tied back at all times.
- No known allergies to animals, animal feed (including nuts) or latex.
As a charity, Tiggywinkles cannot offer any financial support or help with accommodation or expenses. You will need to arrange your own travel or place to stay if required. Tiggywinkles may terminate the work experience placement immediately if any Health and Safety or Animal Welfare rules are broken, or any placement student behaves in an unprofessional manner.
Not sure work experience is right for you? Why not Volunteer (over 18's only please).