Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital offers work experience placements to help you gain that essential hands-on experience with animals that future employers or training courses require. Meet some amazing wildlife that you would never normally get the chance to see. Tiggywinkles treats over 10,000 British wild creatures every year, so there is always plenty of species to get up close to.
Summer 2022 Placements
We are offering a number of work experience placements for blocks of 10 days (or more), working either Tuesday to Saturday; Sunday to Thursday; Friday to Tuesday; or Saturday & Sunday; from 1st July to 10th September 2022.
You need to be available for all 10 days within that period, including the Bank Holiday if that fall on your working day. Please bear in mind the lack of public transport over public holidays.
Placements are to work either 8am-4pm (first day induction will be at 9am) or 9am-5pm for the following days:
Tuesdays to Saturdays; OR Sundays to Thursdays; OR Fridays to Tuesdays; OR Saturdays & Sundays – for a minimum of 10 days in a block please.
Application form can be seen here: Work Experience Application Summer 2022
Work Experience Tasks
The main tasks are hands-on husbandry of the thousand plus wild animals currently undergoing treatment and rehabilitation at our hospital – which means you will spend your day cleaning cages and enclosures, preparing and providing food, with some handling of a variety of wild species. In addition you may be asked to help out with:
- Enclosure & site maintenance as required, which may involve weeding or painting
- Assisting with deliveries of food stuffs
Please note, we only offer non-clinical placements.
PLEASE NOTE: applications for the next calendar year should be submitted after 1 September.
- Students must be over 16 and able to work independently.
- You must have in date tetanus cover.
- Tasks are very physical, so be prepared for working inside or outside, whatever the weather.
- Priority is given to students already on an animal related training programme.
- Extended placements (of longer than 3 weeks) are only offered after completion of a trial period.
- Dress code is jeans and a plain black top, with trainers or boots. Wellies and waterproofs are recommended when working outside (please check the staff room rota). Dark coloured outdoor clothing only.
- No jewellery and long hair must be tied back at all times.
- No known allergies to animals, animal feed (including nuts) or latex.
As a charity, Tiggywinkles cannot offer any financial support or help with accommodation or expenses. You will need to arrange your own travel or place to stay if required. Tiggywinkles may terminate the work experience placement immediately if any Health and Safety or Animal Welfare rules are broken, or any placement student behaves in an unprofessional manner.